, , , , , , , , , , ,

So on Tuesday something happened completely out of the blue, something I never would have guessed, something I was not looking for and did not expect.  Moreover, it was something unequivocally good.  Not something sorta different that might turn out to be something good, or the hope of future possible good, if all the stars align and nothing goes wrong and the world doesn’t decide to end, so let’s all hope and pray, but don’t count on anything etc.  No, this was here it is, right here, we are giving it to you now, you are holding it in your hands, it is really real, no hope required sort of good.  I haven’t had that happen to me in so long that it kinda floored me, but there it was, and it was amazing.  And the best part?  It was about my job.

It seems that, after the last attempt to get me more hours fell through, Boss J and the Big Boss decided that enough was enough, and that they were going to take matters into their own hands.  They started pulling strings and speaking to people, and raising a fuss.  They had to go all the way to the Director’s Office (when they told me who they had to get to approve this, my eyes bugged out a little) to push this one through, by way of most of the people in HR, and God only knows how many other people.  But they did it because they like me, and they think I deserve a chance.  As soon as the Big Boss comes back from vacation, they are going to post my job (the one I actually do rather than the job I was originally hired to do) so that I can apply and formally be hired on at the level that I actually work.  This means that, once this goes through, I will not only officially have a higher status, but I’ll also be eligible for benefits.  Paid vacation.  Sick leave.  Medical.  Plus, I’ll be out from under the 1000 hours/year cap, so I won’t get laid off in November.  Apparently this has been in the works for a little while, but Boss J made the decision not to tell me until it was official because, she said, I’d already had too many disappointments, and she wasn’t going to add to them if this didn’t end up going through.

That was when I started to tear up a little.

But it gets better.  Then she told me that the head of Contracts had been in touch with the Big Boss asking if they had anyone who would like to pick up some more hours.  He recommended me, and so if I was agreeable, I would start working there 10/hours a week in the afternoon (which would bring me up to 3/4 time), with the very real possibility of even more hours soon.  They were looking forward to having me, had my cubicle all ready for me, and could I start immediately?  So Wednesday I had my first day.  And so far they seem great.  Everyone from the head of the department on down went out of their way to make me feel welcome.  One of my favorite people already works there (she’s a fellow knitter who has an autographed picture of James Marsters as Spike from Buffy in her office).  And it’s all just so good I feel like I could fly.

Oh, and last night I got my car working again.  Turns out the reason it wouldn’t start was because it had run out of gas right as I was parking it in front of my house, and I didn’t notice because I’d turned the car off.  Which means I’m going to have to stop cutting my mileage so close, but then, maybe now I’ll have enough money that I won’t have to cut it so close anyway.

And the bed bug exterminator is scheduled to come Monday.

And the weather is freaking gorgeous lately.

Sooner or later the bubble will burst.  The car won’t start.  The bank account won’t balance.  A guy will be annoying.  But I don’t care.  It’s been so long since I felt this good, since I could feel so sunny about the future, that I intend to enjoy every minute of it.