, , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

My dears, this will have to be a short post because the time, it presses on, and I must press with it.  Which doesn’t leave a whole lot of time for blogging, but we’ll just have to deal with it for now.

This morning I dropped my parents off at the airport to start their journey to Korea for Big Brother’s wedding.  It was rather interesting just getting them there.  When I got over to the Family Homestead half an hour before we were supposed to leave, both of them were still rearranging their suitcases having stayed up most of the night packing.  My father, who moves slowly these days anyway, was approaching the speed of a particularly lethargic turtle, and my mother was still wearing the clothes she’d slept in.  I managed to get their bags finalized (and under the weight limit, thank God), persuading Mom that no, that bag of fragile lemon cookies was not going to survive the trip, and yes, I do know how to pack two heavily padded bottles of wine in such a way that they will not shatter.  Well, hopefully, anyway.  The truth is that most of the stuff they’re taking isn’t their own necessaries, but gifts for Sunny, Honey, and Sunny’s family.  The main thing we’ve learned in our research into Korean wedding customs is that gifts are a Very Big Deal, so they’re going prepared.

Just as I got all the bags zipped up, and shoved Mom upstairs to change, Dad announced that he was going to take a bathroom break, leaving me to get the suitcases out to the van.  When I got the first one out there, I discovered that I couldn’t open the side door.  This door has been giving us trouble for a while, so I went to see if I could get things into the back.  Then, when I opened the back door and peered over the back seat, I discovered that most of the room in the van was being taken up with what looked like most of a dead tree.  I quickly recognized this as raw material for decorations for Sae’s wedding, but that didn’t make me any more pleased to find it there!  There was no way I was going to be able to move the dead tree, so I went inside, found out the trick of getting the door open from Dad, and finally got the side door open.  That was when I discovered that the nearest available bench seat was covered with three large bags of potting soil, the really big kind, a little damp, so they were extra heavy.  I managed to heave two of them out of the way (I may have damaged the dead tree a little, but frankly, I didn’t care), but the third was too much.  Somehow I heaved the two heaviest suitcases on top of the third bag of soil, and went back inside to collect my parents.

Once we actually got on the road things went more smoothly.  We got to the airport in plenty of time, and my parents declined my offer to shepherd them to the ticket counter, insisting that I should just drop them off.  So I did.  I was a little anxious watching them walk away, loaded down with their bags.  I felt like a mom watching her five year old go off to school without her for the first time.  But they’re on their way, and hopefully they’ll make their way safely halfway around the world.  If you happen to be in an airport between here and Korea sometime in the next day, and see a grey-haired, rotund American couple (the male of which bears a striking resemblance to Santa Clause) cheerfully toddling along, I do hope you’ll do your best to help them on their way!

And now I’ve got some journeying of my own to make.  First there’s a birthday party in Springfield (we will have piñatas!  Three of them!), then a DJing workshop in Indianapolis followed by a dance at which I’ll get to put some of my new skills to work, and then home again.  Since we won’t have a mom around to honor on Mothers Day, a bunch of us are planning to remember our mother by going to the matinée showing of Thor.  I’m sure she would approve.  🙂  I’ve been waiting to see this movie for a long time, so I can’t wait!  And that’s it, my dears – see you on Monday!