Tags

, , , , , , , , , , ,

A while back, I believe I mentioned that I finally finished Mom’s Queen Anne’s Lace Shawl.  I think it turned out pretty well.

This is the shawl in its unblocked state.  In order for lace to really show to its best advantage, after you’re done knitting, you must take the further step of blocking it.  This means soaking it for a while in lukewarm water with a little wool wash added, then carefully squeezing out the excess water, and stretching the damp shawl out on a flat surface to dry.  You stretch it and pin it out so that the holes really open up, and the lace pattern really pops.

Still, even unblocked, I think I can safely say this is awfully pretty.  It’s also very light – those ripples at the bottom?  That was from the slightest whisper of a breeze that was blowing while I was taking my photographs.

I also finished the shawl for Indy’s dollhouse doll.  Here it is as it’s being blocked.  Again, the blue thing is a cap from a gallon milk jug, included here to give you an idea of scale.

And this is what it looked like draped over the doll’s shoulders.  Perfect!

This is what it looked like from the back.  I don’t know the name of the lace pattern I used – I took the tiny motif I’d been knitting in my Triggy shawl, and knit a basic top-down triangle.  I used a tiny bit of the leftover thread from Mom’s shawl, and did a crochet cast off that resulted in that nice scalloped edging.

We also tried it on a larger doll, just to see what it would look like.  This doll is much bigger, closer to the size that Fleur’s Christmas doll will be.  As you can see, on her the shawl is suddenly a scarf or shawlette.  But, you know, still pretty.

Advertisements