, , , , , , , ,

So the office where I work is located by the main doors for our building, which means that when people can’t figure out who they’re supposed to call to let them in, we are the ones who usually get called.  And when they can’t even find the phone (the only thing on the top of the table which is the only piece of furniture in the very small lobby – not really even a lobby, just a space between two sets of doors) and start just pounding on the doors to be let in, we’re the ones who hear it and have to go rescue these people with advanced degrees who can’t figure out a telephone.  Now, just to add another layer of fun to getting to be doorkeepers for the entire building, the second set of doors is equipped with a piercing alarm that goes off whenever someone holds the door open for too long, or props it open (I was just running out to my car for a sec!) or whatever.  Lately the alarm has been going off all the time, and let me tell you, that thing pierces straight through your eardrums into your brain faster than just about any other sound I’ve ever heard.

Yesterday we finally figured out what was happening.  See, instead of waving their ID at the sensor to unlock the door and then walking three steps to the actual door to open it themselves, people were just hitting the Handicapped button which is located just above the sensor which makes the door open by itself.  Only the problem is that the Handicapped feature holds the door open just long enough to set off the alarm, which then sets in with the brain-piercing.  Except the person who hit the button is now down the hallway and gone, so we’re the ones who get brain-pierced every. single. time.  Now if this were actual handicapped persons using the feature legitimately to get into the building, that would be ok.  I mean, you do what you gotta do.  But this is not handicapped people, except perhaps mentally handicapped (and given that they’re engineering research assistants, that’s unlikely).  They’re just lazy.  Today I happened to be walking past the door as the alarm went off, and I turned my head to see who had set it off.  It was one of the grad assistants that works down the hall, a cute young Asian girl, who was skippingdown the hall away from me.  No, really.  Skipping blithely down the hall, completely ignoring the migraine headaches she was strewing in her wake.


Thankfully the rest of my life has not been quite so headache-producing.  I’ve been going through this weird phase where I actually, like, finish knitting projects.  I know.  Strange.  The first one is myClapotis that I’ve been working on since September.  The yarn is Luscious Single Silk from Blue Moon Fiber Arts, and is one of the softest things I’ve ever touched.  The colorway is Dragon Dance, which I originally chose as a possible gift for Mariah, who collects dragons.  Unfortunately, when I showed her the yarn she was pleased, but not as enthused as one would wish in someone who is the potential recipient of hand-knit goods.  So then I thought I would keep it for myself and just knit her something else.  Except now that it’s knit up she’s more interested, and I’m feeling torn.  So… I dunno.  I might enjoy it myself a little longer (I’ve been planning my outfits every day since I finished it to coordinate with this scarf) and then give it to her, or maybe I’ll just keep it all for myself. (Mine!  Mine!  All the knits are mine!)  We’ll see.

The other project I just finished (sorry, no picture) is actually the second pair of socks I ever made, a plain stockinette pair knit from Kroy Sock Yarn in Fern Rose Jacquard.  The first pair I ever made was actually Jacob’s Christmas present.  They weren’t quite done in time to give him at Christmas (one was, but I had a few inches to go on the second), but he tried them on and said that he liked them a lot.  I finished them shortly thereafter, but not in time to actually give them to him before he died.  This second pair of socks was one of the knitting projects I relied on to keep my hands busy while we were in the hospital with him, and going through all the funeral stuff.  I finished them pretty quickly, but I never could bring myself to weave in the yarn ends and be actually done.  The other day, inspired both by having actually finished the Clapotis and by frozen toes, I quickly wove in the ends and popped them on my feet.  And, man, were they warm!  And nice!  And I can’t believe I waited a whole year to wear these things!  Hand knit socks are awesome!

The problem with actually finishing things, is that I want to start another project (or two, or three) to take the place of the one that’s done.  There are so many pretty things I want to knit, plus some commissioned pieces, things that dear ones have requested, etc.  Plus, I have so much pretty yarn to knit with!  So far I’ve resisted (seeing the level go down in my Works In Progress basket is so satisfying), but it’s hard.  I don’t know how long I can hold out…