, , , , , , , ,

I am living in a plague house.  It started last weekend sometime.  First it was Ani coughing, and then she had a fever too.  Things got worse and worse, and when she finally went to the doctor Tuesday he told her she had the flu and bronchitis, and would not be allowed to go back to work until the next Monday.  The Johnsy started hacking and coughing too, and her voice started to go until she sounded like she was in the middle of a crying jag just saying, “Good morning.”  I started washing my hands a lot, and not sitting on the same couch with either one of them when we watched TV.  And then Ani just wasn’t getting better.  In particular, her stomach hurt all the time, and she kept having trouble keeping her food down.  So this afternoon she went back to the doctor, who diagnosed her with probable appendicitis.  Yeah, I didn’t see that one coming either.  So she came home long enough to pack up a few necessities (comfy pajama pants, cell phone charger) and leave directions for taking care of Baby, and headed off to the ER with her stepfather to find out for sure.

Meanwhile, Johnsy hasn’t been getting better either, and though I’ve been pushing her on it as hard as I can, she still hasn’t seen her doctor. The problem is that her doctor doesn’t keep very regular office hours.  She had already left when Johnsy called yesterday, and she wasn’t in at all today.  Johnsy had been supposed to go down to West Virginia this weekend to visit her little brothers, but as of right now, she’s not well enough to drive that far, and her brothers have let her know that, whatever she has, this is one present they’d rather she not give.  I was trying to encourage Johnsy to visit an Urgent Care, but the problem is that it takes so much time and effort to bring another doctor up to speed on Johnsy’s medical conditions that it would take a miracle to make Johnsy willing to do that.

At the moment the house is very quiet.  Ani is off at the ER (hopefully she’ll call at some point and let us know what’s going on).  I’ve watched two episodes of West Wing with Johnsy, who fell asleep at some point during the second episode.  Her heavy breathing is harmonizing with the very delicate snores of the kitten, curled up on the other end of the couch.  Magda is out of town for the weekend, so I’m the only conscious one left in the house.  So I’m blogging.

The lucky thing is that so far I haven’t shown signs of succumbing.  I’ve been having heavy allergies for a little while now, but other than aggravating my asthma, it hasn’t been too much of a problem.  Still, like I said, hand washing is my friend.  We’re also starting to make rather liberal use of disinfectant on any surface where germs might land.  Hopefully that will be enough to keep me and Magda safe.  We’ll see.

All in all, actually, I’m much better than I was at the beginning of the week.  After I posted on Monday I talked to my aunt, who told me that we were not doing a craft fair this weekend after all.  Just like that my stress eased considerably.  I’m still working on having something like a normal sleeping schedule, but little by little I think it’s getting better.  I’ve been knitting like mad on these cute little striped ornaments, and making garlands, and planning out the display.  I need to make a banner with my shop’s name, and some business cards too, plus paint the frame I plan to use to display my garlands, and then I think maybe I’ll be ready.  I’m so glad I’ve got another week to prepare – if I tried to have all this done by tomorrow, it, well, it wouldn’t be pretty.

If you’re the praying sort, it would be nice if you would say a prayer for the girls in my house.  While Magda hasn’t been dealing with health issues like Ani and Johnsy, she’s gotten hit hard this week too, with bad news in her personal life plus massive layoffs at work with a strong possibility that her own job may be cut sometime in the new year.  And me, well, let’s just say life isn’t easy for me either right now.  Prayer is always good, and we could use a little.