, , , , , , , , , , , , ,

I’ve been trying to write a blog post for days now.  I have all these interesting things to tell.  Unfortunately my lazy, no-brainer summer job has turned out to be anything but, so there hasn’t been any time to write.  Usually my job is to be the minion of the two division secretaries in an engineering research lab.  I run errands, pick up supplies, process paperwork, and hassle people to turn their phone reports in on time.  It’s not a very thrilling job, but it’s a good one for when you’re in school and don’t want to have to think hard about things all the time.  Plus, my bosses love me, I get free printing, and the non-demanding work load means I have lots of time for things like, you know, writing blog posts and buying my friends on facebook.  It’s a good thing.

Then came this week.  We already knew that my Big Boss, the one I report directly to, was leaving for two weeks of vacation (the perk of having worked for the same company for 20+ years).  She prepped me ahead of time, demonstrating the arcane mysteries of PreTabs, showing me the location of the sacred Travel Binder, and letting me know where the secret extra copy of the Master Key (the one we secretaries steadfastly deny exists) is kept.  I wasn’t too worried.  I’ve taken care of things while she was on vacation before and it wasn’t too bad.  Sure, there’s a little extra work, but then she isn’t around to give me new jobs, so it usually evens out.

And then my Other Boss’s mother went into Hospice.  She’s been caring for her mother for years since a stroke left her disabled.  Her health, always precarious, has been deteriorating the last two months.  Last weekend it took a drastic turn for the worse.  She is now in Hospice care, and not expected to last the week.  My Other Boss is spending as much time as possible with her while she can (honestly, if she tried to come in to work I think all of us would rise up to send her back to her mother).  However, what this means is that right now I’m on my own, doing the work of three women to run the division office.  It’s a lot, and so far I seem to be pulling it off pretty well (at least as far as they know).  However, this also means that I haven’t had much chance to blog.

So, my friends, until the crisis is past, be content to know that I continue to lead an interesting life.  Over the 4th of July holiday I managed to not set off any fireworks at all, only see a little, and still burn myself badly.  It was an accident while removing homemade bread from the heavy Dutch oven it had baked in.  In the process of which the Dutch oven, only just removed from a 450F oven, managed to come in firm contact with my chest.  Pain ensued, followed by lavish application of ice.  Consequently I had a large sickle-shaped burn the size of my hand across my chest extending south from just under my collar bone.  There were no Band-Aids large enough to cover it, and I couldn’t stand anything touching it anyway, so for a while I’ve been digging through my wardrobe trying to find my lowest-cut tops so they won’t rub the burn.  (I think this is very ironic, considering I’m the girl who wears her shirts backwards so she doesn’t have writing across her boobs.)  In the last few days the burn has shrunk enough that I’m finally able to put big Band-Aids over the very worst parts, which is a relief.  Funnily enough, having Band-Aids on it means some people are actually noticing it for the first time.  I’ve been trying out tall tales about tattoo removal (what? you don’t remember my tattoo?), and hilariously, some people have actually believed me.

In other news, my dear friend KJ is coming up to visit me this weekend!  Hurrah!  I’m so excited.  I haven’t seen her since she was deployed to Alabama over two years ago.  She’s about to get deployed to Baghdad for the second time, so she’s taking a road trip tour of the US visiting friends, dropping her cats off at her parents’ house in Arizona, and things like that.  I’m very glad that on a whim she checked to see how much out of her way Ohio would be, and that it turned out to add a mere four hours to the trip.  I get to keep her for two nights and one day, which is riches indeed.  It also means I need to get the house clean… we’ll see how that goes.

Also, my garden looks beautiful.  The dahlias have just revealed their first bloom.  When I can, I’ll take you some pictures.